Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Monday, August 27, 2012

Feeling the leadership


Have you ever had your horse turn loose to your leadership? I mean really relinquish the leadership to you – it comes in the form of a trusting, willing, connected partner and you move as one unit.

This was my most recent discovery and one I hope to never forget. I felt the light bulb turn on for my horse (right about the same time it snapped on for me). This was a different kind of “aha” moment for her. She didn’t just learn a new pattern or realize that she was capable of a task. This was her consciously deciding to give something extremely special to me – the leadership. She was holding on to that last little bit and wasn’t planning on letting go anytime soon. She liked being able to boss me around, brace against me, and ignore me every now and then. But now, with the help of an experienced instructor, I have learned how to be the leader that Satin would be willing to give that up to. She put me to the test and this time I WON! And when I won, she acted like a partner. I couldn’t ask for a better reward!

There are few words to describe the feeling of the true partnership you can attain with a horse. It’s not loyalty like a dog or affection like a cat. It’s equality. It’s a mutual understanding. It’s a partnership.

I mentally understood the idea of partnership for a while now, but today I know how it feels. I’m a feeler, not a thinker, so being able to finally feel that connection is priceless. I know what I am working towards when I play with my horse. I can feel the goal. Now it all makes sense!

So many of Pat’s quotes are singing in my head as the dots connect between my experiences. I keep feeling my brain holler, “I get it now!”

The journey is incredible. So many talented people have helped to get me to where I have come and I’m sure will help me continue to progress. I’m feeling blessed and grateful today. I can’t wait to spend time with my horse today and I hope she’s feeling the same way!


No comments: