Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Watch and learn

I've been watching my Level 1 DVD to get prepared for our ext play session. I have the older Level 1 version and I don't have the handbooks that comes with the DVDs. I got my DVDs through a Craigslist Barter so I'm not even sure I have ALL the DVDs. So I am not as fully equipped as I'd like to be, but I'm thankful to have something!

I will be getting the Parelli hackamore next Tuesday from a woman who is making a trade with me (again, through Craigslist). She no longer uses her Parelli hackamore and I no longer use much of my leather English tack (since becoming vegan several years ago, I am trying to get rid of all my leather tack and replace with synthetic, non-animal gear). So I will be trading her a dressage bridle, bit, reins, and martingale for the hackamore. It's a great trade, in my opinion!

I am also potentially purchasing some other Parelli gear from one of my boarders here at the farm. She has all the Parelli equipment and most of the DVDs and is happy to sell them to me. I am THRILLED! She's going to go through all of what she is to determine what she wants to sell, but is definitely going to sell me a carrot stick (possibly a savvy string?), Parelli bareback pad, and possibly a halter and 12 foot lead (maybe the 22 foot lead as well). We'll see! I'm very excited to have found some great, local deals!

In the mean time I have been using my homemade carrot stick, constructed from a thin tree limb. The savvy string is just some similar type rope I purchased from a rope dealer. I also bought the 12 foot line from a rope dealer and added my own snap. It works, but it is certainly not as nice as the genuine Parelli gear. The boarder who is selling me her equipment has allowed me to use her halter, lead, and carrot stick until I buy it from her (just waiting to see which pieces of equipment she wants to sell).

I never thought I would be this excited about NH training! I've been working with horses most of my life, enjoying undemanding company with them, using natural cues and communicating in a language they can understand. Parelli makes Natural Horsemanship exciting by offering "Levels", and different tasks within each level. It is thrilling to "pass" a task and move on to the next one. Me and Satin feel accomplished every time we figure something out - and we're having lots of fun!

I am glad to be working on the ground with Satin as opposed to in-saddle. After our last ride when she threw me, I decided that I wasn't going to ever ride her again. It wasn't safe and she wasn't happy. I only want the best for Satin and if she didn't enjoy being ridden, well then I wasn't going to force her! But her situation wasn't black and white. She did enjoy our time spent together, even while I was on her back. But sometimes she would explode is amazing acrobatic bucks. She would saaave up her energy, wait for an excuse, then BLOW! I only came off her 3 times in 10 years under saddle - twice I made a safe dismount on my feet, but the last time (about 2 months ago) I jumped off and landed on my side. NOT SAFE. NOT HAPPY.
But Satin doesn't buck all the time. As a matter of fact, it is a rare event! She's very bombproof, doesn't spook at ANYTHING, and is generally a mellow, lazy girl. I would love to get the Horsenailities DVD so I could accurately describe your brain.

I can't wait until our next play time!

No comments: