Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Grinning Ear to Ear

There have been times when I'm typing a blog post with a scowl on my face, sometimes a pensive look, but today I am grinning ear to ear.

Concepts are starting to make sense, pieces of the puzzle are beginning to click together, connections are being made, and our expressions are changing. That choppy sloppy feeling has been replaced with smoothness and savvy. This is oh-so-cool! Hard work is paying off!

The sweetest accomplishment is seeing my mare, who I have known since she was a wee foal and has spent almost 14 years with me, change her expression from "Blah" to "Aha!"
Watching Satin go from shut down and closed off to stopping at every single object we pass and putting her nose on it with curiosity, exuberance, and impulsion.

Oh. My. God. Is this really my girl? Satin is actually beginning to enjoy herself!

We had another lesson on Tuesday with Karen. We worked on sideways and the circling game. Our yo-yo and our send are broken, but I am at the point now where I can recognize what is going on and what I need to do to communicate with my horse to make a change.

Thus far I felt like I have been plugging along, but now suddenly I feel like I've stepped up the ladder rung, shook the mud off my boots, and am walking on smooth ground. I'm definitely addicted now and there's no turning back!

1 comment:

Parelli Central said...

Hi Kathy, CONGRATULATIONS!
Well done....

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central