Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

We like puzzles!

Our lesson on Tuesday was awesome, as usual!
Satin seemed to really get a lot out of this session as her tongue and mouth wouldn't stop moving! She was processing information like a butter churn.

We started by sending her to objects to touch-it. She showed much more engagement and curiosity than our last lesson. Karen immediately noticed the difference. Satin even looked for things to touch and was asking questions! YES! I had her mind here and there - how exciting!

My disengagement still needed work so Karen taught me a variation of the falling leaf pattern. I drive from zone 3 (which we are SO much better at now!), my friendly hand (the one closer to Satin) has the CS while my other hand holds the rope. I choose a moment and turn my body back towards her hind end and ask for disengagement. She swivels and looks, I back up and draw, then I am in the perfect position to drive her nose the other way. This made a lot of sense to both me and Satin.

There were times during the lesson when we had to solve a puzzle. Satin didn't understand that I wanted her to touch the small cone. I had to figure out how to send her to the cone without moving my feet. What a challenge mentally and emotionally.

Now we will focus on this falling leaf pattern and solving puzzles with touch-it.

This is so much fun!

1 comment:

Parelli Central said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, Kathy! Sounds like you and your horse experienced some major breakthroughs the last month...
Good for you both! Keep up the good play...

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Trainee Instructor
Parelli Central