Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Friday, September 3, 2010

Lesson with Karen

Lesson, Thursday, September 2nd:

Wow. Just... wow. When Karen took over the reins, so to speak, at our lesson today, Satin revealed some of herself that has not come out in our lessons previously. Karen finally got a view into my world with Satin.

Overall I am happy. I am blown away by Karen's ability to handle a tense situation. Her savvy is evident in her quick responses, patience, and know-how. Because of this Satin was able to learn a lot today.

But I'm also battling some sadness. Satin expressed today just how emotionally 'messed up' she is. There is no doubt that I have caused this emotional trauma built up over her lifetime. I struggle with the guilt of knowing that all these years I have never once asked Satin, but have always made her.

One point in particular, Karen was playing the touch-it game and Satin had completely shut down. When directed toward the object Satin would push through it or just stand there, introverted and turned off. Karen was directing her towards a jump with the focus on the standard (nose to the standard) and Satin did all she could to ignore Karen, even plowing through the jump. Satin would blow through pressure with such emotion. She did everything she could to leave.

If I had to describe Satin in a sentence, I would say, "She would have rather been anywhere else than with us." She was completely unengaged... until we made a break through. By the end of the lesson Karen had Satin's mind and her curiosity was starting to peak through her frustration and habit.

I am starting to see Right-Brained behavior from my LB horse! She's complex! Shutting down like an introvert but dancing and moving her feet like an extrovert. I couldn't ask for a better teacher than Satin. 

What I need to work on:

* Don't let Satin be wrong for too long! Correct immediately, stop the pattern, or it will teach her that all the 'wrong' she is doing is 'right'. "I wouldn't go that way if I were you!"

* Be particular about disengaging the hindquarters. Satin tends to go faster in one direction - help her understand that I am asking for disengagement by lifting the rope. Going to the left Satin seems to have less understanding. Suggest, then ask... and if she continues, then explain your request in a way that makes sense (use the CS!).

* No trotting! Do not allow her to trot at this stage of the game. Work on these principles at the walk only and discourage any other gaits. "Her disengagement button is broken at the trot."

* Be particular about standing still. Satin is addicted to moving her feet into my bubble. When I am at neutral and we are standing, Satin should "maintain gate" (stand still).

* Keep slack in the rope. I have a habit of using pressure on the halter to disengage hindquarters or to direct her nose. This will make her dull to pressure on the halter. Keeping slack in the rope will help me to use rhythmic pressure for disengaging HQ and directing her nose.

No comments: