Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Saturday, June 12, 2010

2* Trainer Lesson

It's been over a week since my lesson with wonderful 2* trainer, Karen Woodbury. She's fantastic. When she speaks it's as if Parelli is speaking through her. She has been trained very well and is an extension of Parelli - exactly what Parelli is probably going for when they train their students!

One thing she clarified for me has helped shape my thinking with the circling game. Satin and I have gone back to the 12' line because she seemed incredibly unconfident on the 22' line - whether this is because I was pushing her way too much too soon or because she simply has no confidence at that distance yet, I'm not sure. But I'd rather go too slow than too fast - the whole reason we quit traditional riding & training is because I felt like I was forcing her to do things that she did not enjoy. I want to make sure our sessions are enjoyable for her! I do have to keep in mind that it is not about "keeping her in shape", it is about our relationship. She can be a sloppy fatty for the rest of her years so long as she is content. The good news is she can develop a strong work ethic AND be happy!

Karen commented on Satin's dominant tendencies. When we were standing and discussing our goals, Satin was munching grass near my feet, stepping in front of me, putting her shoulder in my space, oblivious to my personal boundaries. This was clearly a passive dominance assertion. Karen reminded me that I need to keep from confusing Satin - I have to be consistently the leader and keep my feet firmly planted in that alpha position. So even while we are just hanging out, I need to tell Satin that "This is my space, step back or..."

We focused on the first three games: Friendly, Porcupine, Yo-yo.  I didn't realize just how critical it was to master these concepts. If you have an issue with anything, you have an issue that starts with one of these games. When I would ask Satin to back up, she would lazily take a step back, leaving one foot forward as if to say "You're not going to really MAKE me back." I started to get particular with her and when I would see these signs of non-compliance, I would ask for more, always reinforcing with allowing her to come back to me.

What I walked away from this lesson with ringing loudly in my mind was "It is ME who needs to learn, not the horse!" Satin is equipped with the natural ability to respond to my behaviors. It's my responsibility as a good leader to make my requests clear and consistent. I think now I will be more "Me conscious."

The more I realize how I need to develop, the more I love my horse just the way she is!

Karen is offering group sessions at her farm over the summer. I will be attending several of these 3 hour sessions!

1 comment:

Parelli Central said...

Isn't it interesting that we have more to learn from the horse, then the horse does from us. Remember Keep It Natural.

Hillary,
Parelli mastery Program