Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Monday, June 21, 2010

Letting Go of Old Expectations

It was absolutely pouring rain and luckily I rescued Satin from the downpour just in time. I just opened her pasture gate and allowed her and her pasture mate to take refuge in the barn where the spoiled stalled horses were quietly munching their coastal hay.


Satin immediately started searching for food in every nook and cranny. I just watched her as I went about my business. She started cribbing on a stall door, so instead of squelching her addiction I decided to play with her and attempt to engage her mind.
I basically played at liberty doing the driving game from stall to stall. The rain was working in my benefit because if it hadn't been for the dark sky opening up on us she probably would have left the barn!
I worked particularly on the driving game with her head and shoulder. When she would respond I would reward with friendly game and then driving game in zone 4/5.
It's interesting, when I drive her head away she simply squints and bends her neck away from me, keeping her hooves planted. I start my phases slow and obvious in the beginning and once she gets the hang of it I become more particular. If she doesn't move the front end with loooong phase 1... almost phase 2 - then PHASE 4! She responds. I stop, smile, relax, friendly. Now move zone 5 - very good. Now move zone 1 - Phase 1... She responds! How nice!

But I'm perplexed as to why she finds this game so... pointless. It's as if she's asking me, "What is the point of me moving around the barn? Can't we stand and eat now?" I wonder if my "demands" are keeping the relationship first. Being the leader is good for our relationship, but I want to be sure I am not pushing her to a level of unhappiness. My old expectations consisted of  "You will do what I say, when I say it." It's hard not to have those same expectations, expecially when she responds in a way that is opposite of "what I want." I have to keep repeating to myself, "Relationship first, relationship first, it's not about the trailer..."

Still trying to get her engaged. She's a challenging girl and will make me a great horseman!

1 comment:

Golden the Pony Girl said...

Yeah I have a hard time letting go of old mind sets and expectations too. That whole "I am going to make you do it!" attitude is hard to get rid of.

I like to watch my horse interact with other horses and compare it to how he reacts with me. Bodhi for instance hates driving games with other horses and will pin his ears drag his feet. How does Satin feel about being driven around by horses?
Usually horses drive each other when the have a purpose. Maybe she doesn't see your purpose? She is a complicated lady. :)