Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Friday, June 18, 2010

Getting Creative and Play Drive

I am shocked at how stumped I get when it's time to get creative. Back through some jump standards. Okay, um, yo-yo back to me through jump standards. Okay, now... Um.

Satin is thinking, "BORING! Why are we doing this?"

Circles:
I am getting more particular with her circles. One thing she likes to do when she is annoyed with me, whether it be because I ask for a trot from the walk or ask her to continue the circle, she crowds me with her shoulder and collapses the circle. I use phase 4 with the end of my carrot stick on her shoulder and she throws her front legs out and will even kick out at me if she's really bothered. I'm left asking myself "What am I doing wrong? Is this part of the learning process? Am I pushing her? Making her feel unconfident?"

My last less with Karen showed me that I really need to focus on the first three games. If I am having an issue with her in my space, then we clearly have a porcupine game issue. Satin is LB so she has trouble getting that front end responsive. She doesn't want to move her head or neck but especially doesn't want to move her shoulder away from me. So I worked on the porcupine game, trying to mix it up and keep it interesting. Satin always seems so unengaged. Maybe it's time to break out the treats and reward her slightest try with a carrot. Funny how different she is than Dancer (RBE). Dancer won't put a treat to her lips - She is very satisfied with her reward being 'the pressure is off'!

The good news is, many of my questions will be answered as I begin to take 3-hour workshops with Karen (2* Junior Parelli Trainer) starting next month. For $100 I get a 3-hour lesson tailored to me in a small group of 4-6 students. I love this idea! I like the thought of being in a group setting so the focus isn't always directed at me. I guess I don't like all that pressure either! Plus, 3-hours for that price is really awesome. I am selling some of my tack and gear to pay for several of these workshops between now and when I start back to classes in late August.

I'm also saving up for a 4-week course sometime next year. It will have to be late 2011, but I am definitely planning on signing up soon!

Staying cool in this amazingly hot Florida weather and trying to focus on having fun!

Satin looking terribly bored while introducing her to Max, the mini-Zebu steer.

I'm still trying to read Satin's behavior on the circle as play or annoyed. She sometimes leaps into an angry-looking gallop when asked to continue on the circle or change gate. Is this play, I wonder? Or is it her voicing her frustration? Hmmm...

3 comments:

Kerrin Koetsier said...

Of course its hard to say from reading one blog post (which is why its great that you're going to have lessons with a Parelli Professional!) but what are your phases when asking your horse to move her shoulder? It may have been a typo, but I noticed that you wrote "I use a phase 4 with the end of my carrot stick..." do you give your horse enough time to respond? I know that many horses take offense if they don't feel that you've given them a chance to respond...

Just a thought!

Kerrin Koetsier
Parelli Central

Kathy said...

Good question!
I always start with phase one, so for this example with her shoulder I will gently tap-tap-tap, and if it is early in our session I will add phase 2 tap-tap-tap-TAP... always ready to release/stop at the slightest try. I could be interpreting her "laziness/refusal" incorrectly - it's certainly possible that she's just slow to respond for another reason. But she's not always slow, so I know she knows what I mean when I ask it.

Looking forward to more lessons with the PP! Always nice to have experienced eyes!

Kerrin Koetsier said...

Sounds as if your lesson with a PP will be useful, they always are!! :)

The other thing that I personally find useful, is to film my work. That way, I can re watch my phases and the horses reaction (or whatever the focus is) from the comfort of my computer... sometimes my questions are answered purely by re watching my work.

Kerrin~
Parelli Central