Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Familiarity Breeds Contempt

The age old adage is ringing loud and clear, "Familiarity breeds contempt."

You see this concept in a lot in relationships, particularly marriages. Spouses feel safe that their other-half isn't going and can't go anywhere that sometimes expectations get out of control. I expect you to be sweet to me when I am feeling crummy. I expect you to be there for me. I expect you to be keen to my emotions and respond accordingly.
How soon we forget to appreciate our spouse just because we love them!

I notice this in my relationship with my horse
Satin grew up with me. She knows me very well and can predict my next move (because for 13 years I have boring and predictable!). The terrible thing is that I have developed expectations simply because she "should know better."

Becoming keenly aware of this is my next big goal. I want to be sure that I have no expectations of my girls so that I can reward the slightest try.

No comments: