Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

So little time

My schedule is generally pretty flexible. I have classes (for my Master's in Public Health) in the early mornings 3 days a week and I can be home by noon every day. But due to some unforeseen obstacles, I've unfortunately gotten behind in my classes and have been trying to play catch-up at the Med School library. John's (my wonderful other half) mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer about 10 days ago. She was quickly scheduled for mutliple appointments with the cardiologists, anesthesiologist, and the oncologist/gynochologist to prepare her for surgery to remove the huge mass on her ovary. Her surgery last week was uneventful and her recovery has been going very well... until yesterday. Needless to say, she's needed our assistance more now than ever, so we've spent huge chunks of time at the hospital or visiting her at her apartment. The good news is we just hired our good friend to help Catherine (John's mom) with household tasks while she recovers from surgery.

That said, I have had so little time to do anything with my girls. It's depressing! I've been getting home late, sometimes after dark, then I have to clean stalls, refill water buckets, dish-out grain and blanket 8 pasture horses, bring in & blanket 7 stall horses, and if I can squeeze it in I try to at least brush Satin & Dancer for a few minutes of quality time.

John usually feeds horses on weekday mornings by 6:30am and I stay inside where it's warm, brewing my coffee and taking care of birds, dogs, cats, and rats. We were racing out at 8:30am (I was late for my 8:30 class!) and were driving down the driveway -  I looked over and noticed that John forgot to remove Satin's cribbing collar! I like to let her crib in the pasture and have been keeping it on in the stall at night. Anyway, I stopped and jumped out, climbed the fence (with a painful hip - see my previous post about my arthritis!), and ran towards her, arms spread wide in a goofy way (trying to make John laugh). Of course Satin is totally accustomed to my crazy antics and even grabbed me with her head once I reached her. She pulled me in for a hug and I took the collar off. Just to show John the difference between Satin and Dancer, as I was coming back towards the car I ran towards Dancer, arms spread, "Dancer, gimme a hug!". And Dancer ran like the wind! John was laughing pretty hard!
Poor Dancer! I wish I had time to play with her and show her she doesn't have to be so nervous. In time!

I'm stuck in the library as I type this, longing to be with my horses!

1 comment:

Golden the Pony Girl said...

Dancer came up to me for some scratches as I was trying to leave yesterday. I obliged!