Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Great Opportunity

I realized a few days ago that owning a boarding facility gives me a fantastic opportunity to play with all sorts of different horses. We have 13 boarders, plus my two mammoth donkeys and my two mares. There is every horsenality here at the farm.
In the past when handling the boarders I would do as little as possible with them. It's not my job to train them. However, I do have to handle them every single day and some of the horses make life incredibly challenging!
Now that I view the world in Parelli-colored glasses, I am taking a few moments every day to establish a bond and leadership with some of the more 'troublesome' horses.
It's been going very well and one horse in particular (RBE/LBE) has already made drastic improvements in her behavior.

As for me and my girls, we've not worked much lately. Satin is still getting 2 grams of bute a day and yet she's still lame. I have not heard back from my vet, which is very frustrating!
Ironically enough I just found out that I have arthritis in my hip! Satin and I are both getting arthritis at an early age...
An athletic, healthy, 27 year old with arthritis. Apparently it's potentially caused by several factors; my mother smoking while she was pregnant (I was also premature) sucks the calcium out of your bones, I have strong upper body but don't spend much time strengthening my lower body, so all the work that I do has caused my lower joints much stress, and I used to eat an unhealthy carnivore diet (lots of meat and gravy, no fruits or veggies), so even though I eat pounds of calcium-packed dark leafy greens, I need a supplement to make up for lost time. So here I am taking calcium and joint supplements just like my horse. Now I know the pain she feels!

I can't wait to play with Satin again. It feels like its been an eternity when it's only been a few days.

Oh! And I got my warmblood size hackamore and halter in the mail (from ebay!) yesterday. Awesome! Now Satin can comfortably fit her fat head into a Parelli halter.

1 comment:

Golden the Pony Girl said...

It is common to have problems in the same areas as you mount. Your stiffness translates into hers and visa versa!