Our Parelli Natural Horsemanship journey

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Not just a walk...

Satin and I went on a little walk yesterday (Tuesday, 23rd).
I was headed down the road to see if my packages had arrived yet and decided to bring my girl along. She was happy to come!
We lazily wandered down the road, eating Spanish moss and anything green along the way. I had her on the 22' line just to be safe. She was left-brained the entire time, which is not unusual for her. I got to the gate at my landlord's home and it was locked. Hmmm. I needed to get to his front door to see if the packages had been delivered (before the gate was locked). What to do with Satin? She couldn't climb the 6' fence.

So I tied her to the gate, hopped over, and booked it to the front door. Searching, searching.. Nothing. Bummer. Satin watched me the whole time - too cute!

I jogged back to her and she picked her foot up as if to ask, "Did you get me a treat?"

We wandered further down the road, just nibbling the weeds and such (well, she was eating weeds).
I watched her demeanor for any unconfidence. Nothing. Watched for any thresholds. None.

After about 45 minutes we made our way back. As we approached the pastures the herd of mares (there are 3 of them) came galloping towards us. This was what I was waiting for. A perfect opportunity for Satin to "misbehave". I have learned now that this isn't naughtiness (when she blows a cork), it is lack of confidence. She clearly didn't see me as a strong leader in the past or she wouldn't need to throw a fit.
Satin lifted her head as the crazy girls continued their run around the pasture. I anticipated her reaction and asked her quietly to back... then phase two... She backed! And as she was backing she let out the tiniest little whinny that trailed off at the end.
She was so used to responding with a call (which was always followed by bucking, rearing, striking, etc) that she was obviously thinking about it, but I kept her left-brained by getting her to think about backing. She started licking and chewing. Love it!

This was a tiny improvement, but every stepping stone is necessary! We don't have to make leaps and bounds.

All in all it was a wonderfully undemanding day with my spotted girl.

No comments: